Tuesday, May 18, 2010

The Same Old Conversation


"Did you hear about that current event?"

"I heard something about it on television, let me tell you about it."

"Well, I read something similar in the paper, so I guess we are both aware of this news item."

"A man on TV took two aspects of this current event and formed a rational conclusion. I will repeat what I heard as if I arrived at this conclusion myself."

"Yes, and despite my relative ignorance of the complexities of this situation, I have come up with an over-simplified solution."

"Allow me to compliment your apparent astuteness, assuming that you politely do the same."

"Of course, but let's continue our discussion, because I feel smarter and more secure when I enlighten people with obvious ideas and facts."

"I agree. I am so amazed by general information that I feel the necessity to explain it to other people. I think it makes me seem intelligent, and I like to talk, but I never really have anything to talk about."

"Talking about current events and sports helps me relate to people."

"I enjoy sports, too. Did you watch the big game?"

"Of course. The announcer came to a conclusion about one player. I am not too smart, and I only like and respond to things that other people like and respond to, so I agree with the announcer's comment."

"Well, somebody else said something different about that player, so now I say it, too."

"We can playfully question each other's intelligence by disagreeing about the player."

"Only if it is understood that we are both agree about the generalities of the team and the game."

"Then we can discuss sports every morning."

"That is something that occurs naturally in society, so it makes sense not to question it."

"It seems like a good idea that we become friends. People are supposed to have friends."

"Yes, then we can say and do many different things, and respond to basic human interactions."

"This is alleged to be important."


No comments:

Post a Comment